Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rosemary Crackers

For the second week of my Bakeshop Wednesday project I really wanted to make a whole wheat sourdough. However, I forgot to look at the recipe before I went to Whole Foods yesterday. I need to get some rye flour and maybe attempt the bread next week. I looked at recipes all day trying to find one that I had all the ingredients for because I didn't want to go back to the store. While having tea at my friend Betsy's house I was looking though a cook book she had all about pizza and bread. I found a super simple cracker recipe. I kind of scribbled the recipe down and don't remember the name of the cook book, but since I changed a few things anyway I think it's okay.



Delicious Simple Crackers
10.5 ounces of all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sunflower oil
6 tablespoons olive oil
8 tablespoons luke warm water
rosemary
sea salt
Italian seasoning mix (mine has oregano, red pepper flakes, basil, garlic powder, etc.)

Mix flour, oils, water, and a good pinch of all the seasonings in a large bowl. Mix up with your hands until incorporated. Transfer dough to work surface and knead until smooth. The dough should be oily enough that it doesn't stick, but add flour to your work surface if you need it. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Roll out dough as thin as possible (I probably could have rolled mine even thinner). Sprinkle with more seasonings and cut into "cracker sized" pieces. I lightly sprayed a baking sheet with olive oil spray then laid all the crackers on the sheet. Bake for 5-6 minutes; mine didn't brown very much. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Somehow I had a great deal of self-control and didn't eat all of the crackers (with hummus) before Kyle got home. I could have finished all of them and pretended the whole thing never happened. However, these things are so good I wanted to share them. They are softer than crackers you would buy at the store...I might try using the pizza stone next time and that might make the texture different. Also, I might have to try a mix of whole wheat flour and some sesame seeds. It will be pretty amazing if these crackers make it another 15 minutes in our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment